Timberridge Presbyterian Church was organized in 1829, and the first building was constructed that same year, approximately one-half mile from its present location. Henry County was only 8 years old at that time, and the city of McDonough was only 6.
Annual camp meetings were held at Timberridge during the 1830s. The church’s membership became scattered in the years prior to the War Between the States, and only occasional services were conducted. The church building was burned by Kilpatrick’s Raiders on September 16, 1864, during Sherman’s Georgia Campaign on his way from Atlanta to Savannah. For the next 15 years, the members of Timberridge had no house of worship to call their own.
A new building was constructed on the present site in 1869, on land donated by John J. Green. D.J. Green and H.M. Russell attended a meeting of the Presbytery in Griffin in the spring of 1880 and asked that the church be formally organized and admitted into the Presbytery. A new building was constructed years later during the ministry of Rev. John A. Simpson. Grover B. Russell and W.E. Russell contracted for this building, which cost $1,740. It was dedicated on June 4, 1911, by Rev. W.E. Dozier, and still stands today.
Timberridge celebrated its centennial during the pastorate of Rev. Swicord. Former minister John A. Simpson preached at the centenary observance in September 1929. At the time, the church had 104 resident members, 53 non-resident members, 8 ruling elders, and 5 deacons.
A new educational wing, containing six Sunday School rooms and a large fellowship hall, was dedicated on December 31, 1961. Other improvements to both the inside and outside of the church buildings continued to be made.
From 1966 until 1977, the Rev. J. Fred Moore served as minister. During his years in the pulpit, Timberridge continued to grow and also began to provide partial support for the Rev. Lardner Moore, a missionary in Japan.
Timberridge reached another milestone when Rev. Moore departed. After having shared a minister with the McDonough Presbyterian Church since 1903, Timberridge elected in 1977 to call its first full-time pastor, Rev. R. Monty Nelson. Rev. Nelson and his family were at Timberridge until being called into the African mission field.
In 1985, Rev. Tom Bagley was called to Timberridge as pastor. During his ministry, Timberridge Church grew along with the community. In 2000, the church celebrated the construction of a beautiful new sanctuary and fellowship hall. Rev. Bagley served Timberridge for 19 years before accepting a call in 2004 to plant a new congregation east of Atlanta.
With Rev. Bagley's departure, Rev. Matt Allison was called in August 2005 to become the pastor at Timberridge.
In November 2007 the congregation voted to disaffiliate with the Presbyterian Church (USA) and in May 2008 was received into the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). However, in June 2012 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a previous ruling that the property belonged to PCUSA instead of the local church. A number of members left with Rev. Allison to form Faith Presbyterian Church (EPC) in McDonough. Timberridge once again became a PCUSA church, with wishes for grace and peace for their friends at Faith.
In July 2012, Rev. Richard Hill became the transitional pastor for Timberridge.
In June 2015, Rev. Fred Young became the full-time solo pastor for Timberridge. Rev. Young grew up in Knoxville, TN, and earned his Bachelor's degree from the University of Tennessee. He left the business world to follow God's call to ministry and began studying at Columbia Theological Seminary in 2012. He graduated from Columbia with his M.Div. degree in May 2015.
The congregation of Timberridge is rooted in this community through a long history of faith, and continues to grow in love for Christ and our neighbors.